VU22492 - Produce engineering drawings for a rural road
This unit of competency describes the knowledge and skills required to complete typical road drawings required in the geometrical layout of rural roads to comply with the requirements of AS1100.401.
No licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
This unit contains employability skills.
Application of the Unit
This unit of competency applies to a person working at paraprofessional level in a civil engineering environment where drawings of urban and rural roads are prepared.
Elements describe the essential outcomes of a unit of competency. Elements describe actions or outcomes that are demonstrable and assessable.
Performance criteria describe the required performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element – they identify the standard for the element. Where bold / italicized text is used, further information or explanation is detailed in the required skills and knowledge and/or the range statement.
Assessment of performance is to be consistent with the evidence guide.
1. Identify rural road project to be drawn
2. Plan drafting approach
3. Complete the drawings
4. Present and archive final drawings
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
This describes the essential skills and knowledge and their level required for this unit.
- consulting and communicating with other project personnel
- identifying and following relevant OHS/WHS procedures
- preparing drawings including:
- plotting from a given survey data
- using relevant drawing symbols
- plotting horizontal alignment
- plotting and tabulating information on longitudinal sections
- plotting and tabulating information on cross sections
- calculating earthworks volumes
- plotting a mass/haulage diagram
- survey data:
- survey traverse - by coordinates where appropriate
- topographical detail - fences, power lines, trees, vegetation, buildings etc
- cadastral information - property boundaries, county, parish, lot Nos, etc
- bench marks
- reference and offset pegs
- drawing symbols and standards:
- symbols - fences, culverts, water courses, underground services etc
- north point
- point of intersection
- deflection angle
- tangent length
- ARC length
- curve details
- road reserve
- longitudinal section information:
- vertical intersection points
- vertical curves
- natural surface levels
- finished surface levels
- cut and fill data
- culvert details
- cross sections:
- natural surface
- finished surface
- table drains
- earthworks volumes
- mass/haulage diagram
The Range Statement relates to the unit of competency as a whole. It allows for different work environments and situations that may affect performance. Bold / italicised wording in the Performance Criteria is detailed below.
OHS/WHS requirements may include, but are not limited to:
- protective equipment
- material safety management systems
- hazardous substances and dangerous goods code
- local safe operation procedures
- awards provisions
Environmental requirements may include, but are not limited to:
- liquid waste
- solid waste
- gas, fume, vapour, smoke emissions, including fugitive emissions
- excessive energy and water use
- excessive noise
Appropriate personnel may include:
- leading hand
- site engineer
- team member
Resources and equipment may include, but are not limited to:
- drafting equipment:
- manual or computer aided (CAD)
Enterprise procedures may include, but are not limited to:
- the use of tools and equipment
- instructions, including job sheets, cutting lists, plans, drawings and designs
- reporting and communication
- manufacturers' specifications and operational procedures
The evidence guide provides advice on assessment and must be read in conjunction with the Elements, Performance Criteria, Required Skills and Knowledge, the Range Statement and the Assessment section in Section B of the Accreditation Submission.
Critical aspects for assessment and evidence required to demonstrate competency in this unit
Context of and specific resources for assessment
Methods of assessment